Thursday, September 25, 2014

Banned Books week

In the library world, it's banned books week.
What is that, you say? It's basically celebrating our freedom to read whatever we want!

Out of the top 10 banned books of 2013 I've read over half. Honestly, I think I'd enjoy reading a couple more of them, although I have to say that I cannot bring myself to read 50 Shades of Gray. If you want my opinion on that one, message me privately.

*Captain Underpants - Silly and stupid, but so appealing to kids. Especially boys. And this is a good way to get your reluctant reader to read. Sometimes the fact that a kid is reading is more important than what they're reading. We can work on content later, right?
*13 Reasons Why - This book fascinated me. The interactions of people, the way we can positively and negatively effect people,
*And Tango Makes Three - I worked in the children's department of one of our libraries when this book came out and a parent complained about it. We DID NOT pull it from the shelf.
*The Kite Runner - y'all remember how I feel about this book?
*Looking for Alaska - oh how I love John Green. This was a great book.
*Scary Stories 3 - I loved all of these books when I was a kid. See below.

I've been pretty surprised in the past that there are so many banned books...and that I've read a ton of them! Here are a few that I love or have loved in the past...

I LOVED The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney when I was in junior high. I know I read it at least 4 times.

Another junior high fave? Forever by Judy Blume. I got that one taken away by my stepmom, but I managed to sneak it back and take it home. Where I proceeded to learn about Ralph and all kinds of mysterious things twelve year olds don't know anything about...

I get that the witchcraft thing in Harry Potter might be offensive to some, but to ban it? I live in a different world than those people, man. I love me some Harry Potter.

I can remember being so scared of Scary Stories to tell in the dark by Alvin Schwartz, but I kept going back to it over and over. I even got my own copy at some point in my middle school years.

To Kill A Mockingbird will always be a favorite of mine.

Gone With the Wind
A Wrinkle in Time
Flowers for Algernon
Bridge to Terabithia
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Of Mice and Men
A Separate Peace

So many of these I remember, loved and helped form me into who I am today!
Thank goodness we have the freedom to read what we want!
Happy Banned Books Week, everyone!

No comments: