Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A church home

I am just wrecked right now. Being without a church home and attempting to find the one that will fit our lives, our family, point us closer to Jesus, while allowing us to feel loved and valued while showing love and value? This is not an easy task!
We've been looking for a new church home for almost 3 months now. It has been an interesting journey. I see the value of the journey and I'm thankful for this time. I don't always like it, but I do see the importance in it.
I wish this was a blog post sharing the new church we've found, but it's not.
We L-O-V-E-D our old church.
The downside? Community. That church is not in our community.
A 40 minute trip to church? Fine. Another 40 minutes home? No problem.
Not seeing our "people" all week? Not running into church family members at the grocery store? Having to drive at least 30 minutes to get to small group to hang with these folks? Not on the agenda.
I just can't do it. I want to be in community with the people I am literally in community with.
So pray for us? We're still searching. We've certainly found a couple of churches that we like, but none have just bowled us over with the feeling of home. As David and I left church this past Sunday we started talking about how we may have to commit and just really get involved somewhere to see if it's the place for us.
Start small - do we like the sermons, the worship, the location, the children's service?
And then invest. Join a small group, start serving in some area of the church. We didn't have the fortune of being invited to church by friends so we really know no one. And since relationships are the essence of home, if we know no one it can never feel like home.

No comments: